The Van Johnson Blogathon is here!


Calling all bobbysoxers!

Yesterday marked my fourth year of blogging and I can't think of any better way to celebrate than this. For the next three days, we'll be honoring the redheaded, freckle-faced, and immensely talented Mr. Van Johnson, whose 101st birthday is on August 25. For decades, Van entertained audiences on the big and the small screen, whether he was dancing, singing, or acting. With his adorable boy-next-door persona and natural style, Van has endured as a fascinating star from classic Hollywood and I cannot wait to read everyone's tributes to this man and his varied career.

Silver Screenings tells us about Van's phenomenal performance in the gritty WWII film Battleground (1949).

One Gal's Musings discovers what happens when Van meets Elizabeth Taylor in the heart-tugging drama The Last Time I Saw Paris (1954).

Champagne for Lunch reviews Van's breakthrough role in A Guy Named Joe (1943).

Musings of a Classic Film Addict talks about why she loves the teaming of Van, Esther Williams, Keenan Wynn, and Lucille Ball in Easy to Wed (1946).

The Midnite Drive-In looks at Van's role as the dastardly Minstrel on the brilliantly campy '60s show, Batman.

Maddy Loves Her Classic Films informs us of her favorite performance from Van courtesy of 23 Paces To Baker Street (1956).

Public Transportation Snob explores Van's subtle work in the star-studded The Caine Mutiny (1954).

Caftan Woman discusses when Van acted alongside giants Hepburn, Tracy, Lansbury, and Menjou in Frank Capra's State of the Union (1948).

Sat in Your Lap evaluates one of Van's many military roles in the war drama Command Decision (1948).

Critica Retro checks out Yours, Mine, and Ours (1968), a family comedy that boasts the incredible talents of Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda in addition to Van.

We join Esther Williams and Van again in my review of the sunny, funny Duchess of Idaho (1950).

For his second entry, The Midnite Drive-In writes about the fascinating war film Go for Broke! (1951).

For her second post, Champagne for Lunch pens a tribute to Van's bobbysoxer fans.

In the Good Old Days of Classic Hollywood joins us with Van's hilarious episode of I Love Lucy, "The Dancing Star."

The Wonderful World of Cinema introduces us to the underrated gem Three Guys Named Mike (1951).

A Viewer's Guide to Classic Films considers Van in the Grand Hotel semi-remake Weekend at the Waldorf (1945).

Hometowns to Hollywood gives an invaluable look at Van's early years and his hometown of Rhode Island.

Pure Entertainment Preservation Society jumps into the pool with Esther and Van in the romantic comedy Thrill of a Romance (1945).



Psssst... stick around because on the 28th, I'll be announcing my next blogathon! (I know, I'm ridiculous.)

Comments

  1. Here's my entry for the blogathon! I'm so happy that Van is getting his due with a tribute, and I can't wait to read everyone else's entries and hear about your new blogathon!
    https://annsblyth.wordpress.com/2017/08/25/the-van-johnson-blogathon-easy-to-wed-1946/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll try to get it up ASAP!

      Delete
    2. My article is going somewhat slowly. If I send it to you on Sunday night, can it still be listed in the last recap? Thank you very much.

      Yours Hopefully,

      Tiffany Brannan

      Delete
  2. http://midnitedrive-in.blogspot.com/2017/08/sing-song-of-villainy.html

    The first of two entries is up. Van Johnson as "The Minstrel" on the Batman TV series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there. Here is my entry. Can't wait to read all the others. Maddy https://maddylovesherclassicfilms.wordpress.com/2017/08/25/the-van-johnson-blogathon-23-paces-to-baker-street-1956/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure if my earlier comment went through, so apologies if this is a repeat.

    http://www.caftanwoman.com/2017/08/the-van-johnson-blogathon-state-of.html

    PS: Another blogathon?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, another one -- it's an addiction.

      Delete
  5. My entry:

    https://satinyourlap.wordpress.com/2017/08/25/command-decision-1948/

    ReplyDelete
  6. So exciting~! Thanks again for hosting and happy birthday to our man. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! He deserved his own blogathon and I was happy to provide it.

      Delete
  7. Here's my entry, which is up today: http://www.ptsnob.com/2017/08/van-johnson-blogathon-caine-mutiny.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here it is Yours, Mine and Ours:
    http://criticaretro.blogspot.com.br/2017/08/os-seus-os-meus-os-nossos-yours-mine.html
    Now up to reading! Kisses!
    Le

    ReplyDelete
  9. http://midnitedrive-in.blogspot.com/2017/08/learning-to-command.html

    My second entry on "Go for Broke!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Michaela. Here is my article for the blogathon.

    https://crystalkalyana.wordpress.com/2017/08/27/lucy-dances-with-van-johnson-in-the-dancing-star/

    ReplyDelete
  11. First, congrats on your 4 years of blogging! :D I'll celebrate my 3rd anniversary in October :)
    And second, here is my entry for the blogathon. Thanks so much for hosting! :)
    https://thewonderfulworldofcinema.wordpress.com/2017/08/27/three-years-later-three-guys-named-mike-is-still-a-favourite/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Virginie! Hopefully I can get my post for your blogathon done soon.

      Delete
  12. I loved all of his performances, but still laugh out loud at his hilarious persnickety persona in Brigadoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you! Brigadoon is one of my favorites of his.

      Delete

Post a Comment

You might've missed these popular posts...

Loving and Fighting Furiously: Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz

Top Ten: Fred Astaire's Partners

Announcing the 100 Years of Esther Williams Blogathon!

Announcing the Sixth Annual Doris Day Blogathon!

Fred Astaire tells Rita Hayworth... You Were Never Lovelier (1942)

Esther Williams enthralls in... Dangerous When Wet (1953)

Bob, Bing, and Dottie take the... Road to Rio (1947)

The Fifth Annual Doris Day Blogathon is here!

Fred and Ginger's Cinematic Farewell: The Barkleys of Broadway (1949)

Ann Sothern and Robert Young can't stop marrying each other in... Lady Be Good (1941)