Announcing the Vincente Minnelli Blogathon!

A genius filmmaker, Vincente Minnelli created some of cinema's most amazing images, as well as some of its greatest works: Meet Me in St. Louis, An American in Paris, The Bad and the Beautiful, Father of the Bride, The Band Wagon, the list goes on! So, in honor of Mr. Minnelli, I wanted to host my very first blogathon, which will be a tribute to the director and will take place on Dec. 16-18, 2016. Why these dates? Well, I originally thought of doing this on Minnelli's 114th birthday in February, but I decided I couldn't wait that long because I'm an impatient child. December was a touch closer and works with my current schedule, plus December 18th happens to be the 58th anniversary of the premiere of Some Came Running, so there's my official excuse. On to the rules!

The rules:
You can write about any of Minnelli's films, or really anything else related to him, such as his relationship with Judy Garland, his stage work before he came to Hollywood, his work on segments in Ziegfeld Follies, Lovely to Look at, or The Story of Three Loves -- anything! I also won't limit how many posts you want to do. The more the merrier, honestly. (Of course, don't be a hog and take up a bunch of Minnelli films before someone else can even pick one.)

Also, I'd prefer no duplicates. Minnelli has a good-sized filmography and since I'm not restricting what you want to talk about, I think it's a fair rule. That being said, if you want to talk about Brigadoon but someone already took it, you could focus on Minnelli's musicals in general or maybe his work with Gene Kelly or Cyd Charisse. I would even accept an in-depth look at one of the numbers, like "Heather on the Hill." Just ask me and I'll try to help. (And yes, I went ahead and claimed Brigadoon. It's a perk of hosting.)

You can post on any of the three days of the blogathon, or you can post early! I'm a big fan of submitting my posts a day before a blogathon, but that's just me. I only ask that you be sure to send me your link and I'll try to post it as soon as possible.

My final rule: please, please, please spell Vincente Minnelli's name correctly. Nothing drives me more crazy than somebody misspelling a name. Thank you.

If you'd like to participate, and I certainly hope you do, please leave me a comment below with your blog name and URL and your choice! (You can see a list of Minnelli's films here, if need be.) Then pick one of my crudely made banners, put it on your blog, and I'll see you in December!

List of Participants:
Love Letters to Old Hollywood | Brigadoon (1954)
Phyllis Loves Classic Movies | The Clock (1945)
Christina Wehner | Madame Bovary (1949)
The Wonderful World of Cinema | Father of the Bride (1950)
Serendipitous Anachronisms | Meet Me in St. Louis (1944)
Back to Golden Days | Some Came Running (1958)
In the Good Old Days of Classic Hollywood | Lust for Life (1956) and the marriage of Minnelli and Judy Garland
Champagne for Lunch | Judy Garland's sequences in Till the Clouds Roll By (1946); Lena Horne's numbers in I Dood It (1943) and Panama Hattie (1942)
Old Hollywood Films | An American in Paris (1951)
Crítica Retrô | The Pirate (1948)
LA Explorer | Bells are Ringing (1960)
Caftan Woman | The Reluctant Debutante (1958)
Realweegiemidget Reviews | Father's Little Dividend (1951)
Cinema Cities | The Courtship of Eddie's Father (1963)
Musings of a Classic Film Addict | The Sandpiper (1965)
Silver Screenings | Cabin in the Sky (1943)
Cary Grant Won't Eat You | Designing Woman (1957)
Crimson Kimono | On a Clear Day You Can See Forever (1970)
The Flaming Nose TV Blog | The Long, Long Trailer (1954)
Pillow Shots | The Band Wagon (1953)






Comments

  1. Congrats on your first time hosting!! Love the banners!!

    I'll take The Clock (1945) - http://phyllislovesclassicmovies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! Can I do Madame Bovary? I've been wanting to watch that one for some time.

    Looking forward to this very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful choice! I could sigh over Louis Jourdan all day. Thanks for accepting my invite!

      Delete
  3. Yay Michaela! :D I definitely want to do Father of the Bride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! What a fabulous topic, l will definitely take Meet Me in St. Louis!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea for a blogathon! I love Vincente Minnelli's films, so it was really hard to pick one - especially when I've already written articles about six of them. But I have finally decided on "Some Came Running" (1958), which is one of my personal favorites. So if that one is still available, I'd like to take it.

    -Cátia. xo
    Back to Golden Days (http://back-to-golden-days.blogspot.pt/)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some Came Running is certainly available! Parts of it were actually filmed in my home state; I've been to the town where they were and it's fabulous. Thanks for coming aboard, Cátia!

      Delete
  6. Love this blogathon idea. Vincente Minnelli was one of the first directors I discovered, and Judy Garland was my first love. She's the one that established my passion for classic cinema, so I'm definitely in this. I've been tossing up between what to write about, and there's two things that I want to write about. So could I please take "Lust For Life" ( 1956 ) And could I also write about Vincente's marriage with Judy Garland? I will be going interstate around that time to see family for Christmas, but I'll definitely have time for two entries. If worse comes to worse, I'll schedule the posts.

    My blog: In The Good Old Days Of Classic Hollywood.

    Also, I've just announced another blogathon, and would love to invite you to join in. Here is the link below with more details.

    https://crystalkalyana.wordpress.com/2016/09/05/announcing-the-agnes-moorehead-blogathon/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, those are great topics! I think Judy was my first love as well. I'll definitely check your blogathon out!

      Delete
  7. Aw man, I wanted Brigadoon! ;-) This is a cool idea, I've seen a couple of his films this year and I've really appreciated him more as a director. Could you put me down as a TBA?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Simoa, I'm sorry! I'll certainly put you down as TBA. This blogathon wouldn't be the same without you!

      Delete
    2. You're too sweet! <3 I'd like to write about the Judy Garland sequences he directed in Till the Clouds Roll By, along with Lena Horne's specialty numbers in I Dood It and Panama Hattie. :)

      Delete
  8. I'll take An American in Paris for Old Hollywood Films if that's still available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic! I adore that film. Can't wait to see your take!

      Delete
  9. Cool! Can I write about The Pirate (1948)? My blog certainly needs more Judy!
    Kisses!
    Le from Critica Retro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can always use Judy! The Pirate is so underrated. I'd be thrilled to have it as part of my blogathon. Thanks for joining!

      Delete
  10. I'd like to write about Bells Are Ringing for LA Explorer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect! I've been hoping somebody would do that one!

      Delete
  11. How delightful! Put me down for "The Reluctant Debutante", please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to see Rex, Kay, and Sandra will be brought to the party! Thanks for joining!

      Delete
  12. Hi Michaela, It's Gill at Realweegiemidget Reviews, can I do Goodbye Charlie with Tony Curtis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, sorry to be a pain but can I change my choice to writing about Father's Little Dividend. Thanks, Gillx

      Delete
    2. It's no problem at all. I'll get it changed.

      Delete
  13. Hello Michaela, Minoo Allen here from the blog Classic Movie Hub. What a fabulous idea for a blogathon. I would love to write about Tea and Sympathy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got it! Thank you for joining!

      Delete
    2. Hi Michaela. I'm sorry to say I may have bit off more than I can chew on regards to life right now. I don't think I'll be able to do this Blogathon :( I'm so sorry about that.

      Delete
    3. I completely understand. I had to drop out of an Agnes Moorehead blogathon just last week. Sorry to see you go! If you change your mind, I'll be accepting entries up until the last day of the blogathon.

      Delete
  14. Great idea for a blogathon, as Minnelli had such a varied filmography! I'd like to write about The Courtship of Eddie's Father for the occasion.

    My blog Cinema Cities can be found here: cinemacities.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there! If possible, I'd love to write about The Sandpiper (1965) for Musings of a Classic Film Addict at annsblyth.wordpress.com/ Thank you so much, this is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can do that! I like having people cover Minnelli's lesser-known works. Thanks for joining!

      Delete
  16. If it's not taken, I'd like to tackle Cabin in the Sky (1943). I'm https://silverscreenings.org/

    Looking forward to this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I'm thrilled to have you join, Ruth!

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. Surprisingly not! Would you like to grab it?

      Delete
  18. Great idea for a blogathon. I think I found one still open. On A Clear Day You Can See Forever (1970)?
    http://crimsonkimono.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Are you still accepting choices for the Vincente Minnelli blogathon? Even though we concentrate on TV we are of course movie lovers and would love to cover his "The Long, Long Trailer" with Lucy and Desi. We are The Flaming Nose TV Blog http://flamingnose.blogspot.com/ Cannot WAIT to read all the posts next month! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I'm still accepting! I probably will be until the event starts.

      So glad that someone picked The Long, Long Trailer! Thanks for joining! I can't wait, either!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Michaela! Do you send out reminders to the blogs? if so, my email is shop@mateas.com.

      Delete
    3. I could send you a reminder if you'd like. I know it's over a month away, so it can be easy to let it slip your mind.

      Delete
    4. I would *love* a reminder though I'm putting it on every calendar-type thing I have!! So excited to be participating!! Thanks so much!

      Delete
  20. This sounds great. If it's not too late to sign up and if no one else is doing it, I'd love to do "The Bandwagon". My blog is www.pillowshots.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I was surprised no one had taken it yet. Happy to have you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

You might've missed these popular posts...

Loving and Fighting Furiously: Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz

Top Ten: Fred Astaire's Partners

Announcing the 100 Years of Esther Williams Blogathon!

Announcing the Sixth Annual Doris Day Blogathon!

Fred Astaire tells Rita Hayworth... You Were Never Lovelier (1942)

Esther Williams enthralls in... Dangerous When Wet (1953)

Bob, Bing, and Dottie take the... Road to Rio (1947)

The Fifth Annual Doris Day Blogathon is here!

Fred and Ginger's Cinematic Farewell: The Barkleys of Broadway (1949)

Ann Sothern and Robert Young can't stop marrying each other in... Lady Be Good (1941)